Math Mom

This page consists of a discussion titled Math Mom and all responses to it.

Math Mom

Hi, I am trying to help my sixth grader understand the concepts better behind fractional equations.  Can you tell me a simple way to explain why we invert when dividing fractions?

February 24, 2009, 3:24 pm by Mjhunt1234

division is the opposite of multiplication.  maybe that can help.

March 9, 2009, 3:55 pm by Kickcycle111

because we really can not divide fractions. we invert to do the opposite which is multiplication...
1/2 divide 3/4 is actually 1/2 divide 4/3 then we can cancell 2 and 4 out to get an answer of 2/3.
if you straight across multiply it you will get an answer of 4/6 then you can reduce it to 2/3.
Hope this helps...

March 26, 2009, 11:46 am by Guest

Post Your Comments

How many legs in total do a chicken, and two sheep have?

Video Tutorials | Worksheets | Word Problems | Learning Tools | Discussions | Books | Tutors
Algebra | Geometry | Trigonometry | Calculus | Probability and Statistics | Arithmetic | Basic Math | Pre Algebra | Pre Calculus | Advanced Algebra
1st grade | 2nd grade | 3rd grade | 4th grade | 5th grade | 6th grade | 7th grade | 8th grade | 9th grade | 10th grade | 11th grade | 12th grade
NySphere International, Inc. © 2017 United States · All Rights Reserved. Helping students with math since 2007. | Privacy Policy | Table of Contents